Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released from police custody. In a statement on Thursday evening, the Thames Valley Police shared an update, revealing: “The arrested man has now been released under investigation.”
“We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded. The force said its searches in Berkshire are still under way, and that it would make no further statement at this time,” the statement continued.
The disgraced former Duke was let go hours after being arrested on his 66th birthday on Thursday morning. On February 19, police arrived at Sandringham, where Andrew is currently living at Wood Farm. King Charles’ brother was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
In an earlier statement, Thames Valley Police said: “As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in police custody at this time. We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.”
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright also said: ”Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
The King’s reaction
HELLO! understands that the royal family were not given advance warning of Andrew’s arrest. Buckingham Palace later shared a statement from the King, which read: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.”
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all,” His Majesty continued.
HELLO! understands that the Prince and Princess of Wales support the King’s statement.
The royal’s arrest came ten days after Thames Valley Police confirmed that it was assessing claims concerning Andrew – who served as a British trade envoy from 2001 to 2011 – allegedly sharing confidential information with sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. At the time, the palace stated that they were “ready to support” the police if approached.
“The King has made clear, in words and through unprecedented actions, his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s conduct,” the palace stated. “While the specific claims in question are for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police we stand ready to support them as you would expect. As was previously stated, Their Majesties’ thoughts and sympathies have been, and remain with, the victims of any and all forms of abuse.”
Because of his past friendship with Epstein, Queen Elizabeth’s second son stepped back from public duties in 2019, was stripped of his title, style and military honours in 2025, and earlier this year, left his long-time home, Royal Lodge.
Read the full article here



