King Charles returned to public duties on Tuesday! Five days after being briefly hospitalized, His Majesty, 76, carried out an investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle.
“A wonderful morning at Windsor Castle as The King presented honours to recognise incredible people at an Investiture,” the royal family’s official social media accounts wrote alongside pictures from the ceremony.
Following the ceremony, Katarina Johnson-Thompson, who received an MBE for services to athletics, spoke of the King seeming to be “in good spirits.” “You know it’s long, all day, because so many people are getting honoured today,” Katarina said (via The Standard). “So he seems in really good spirits and I’m happy to see that he’s fit and well.”
Tuesday marked King Charles’s first official appearance since being hospitalized last week due to temporary side effects from his cancer treatment. On March 27, Buckingham Palace said in a statement (via HOLA! USA‘s sister brand HELLO!): “Following scheduled and ongoing medical treatment for cancer this morning, The King experienced temporary side effects that required a short period of observation in hospital. His Majesty’s afternoon engagements were therefore postponed.”
“His Majesty has now returned to Clarence House and as a precautionary measure, acting on medical advice, tomorrow’s diary programme will also be rescheduled. His Majesty would like to send his apologies to all those who may be inconvenienced or disappointed as a result,” the palace added.
According to the BBC, a palace source described the King’s hospital visit as a “most minor bump in a road that is very much heading in the right direction.”
It was announced in February 2024 that His Majesty had been diagnosed with a form of cancer following a procedure for benign prostate enlargement. At the time, the palace shared that the King had commenced on Feb. 5, 2024 “a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties.”
“The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible,” the palace said. “His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer.”
After a period of treatment and recuperation, King Charles returned to public-facing duties on April 30, 2024. At the time, the palace said it was too early to say how much longer His Majesty’s treatment would continue, but noted that the King’s medical team was “very encouraged by the progress made so far and remain positive about The King’s continued recovery.”
Charles is scheduled to undertake a state visit to Italy with Queen Camilla this month. Per The Sun, the “palace insists” that the King will be able to go to Italy for the visit. While Their Majesties were due to travel to the Vatican and meet with Pope Francis, who was released from the hospital on March 23, their state visit to The Holy See has been postponed. The palace explained that “medical advice has now suggested that Pope Francis would benefit from an extended period of rest and recuperation.”
The palace added, “Their Majesties send The Pope their best wishes for his convalescence and look forward to visiting him in The Holy See, once he has recovered.”
Read the full article here