By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
OMG CelebOMG CelebOMG Celeb
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Lifestyle
  • Royalty
  • Style
Reading: Why removing Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from line of succession could prove ‘torturous’
Share
Font ResizerAa
OMG CelebOMG Celeb
  • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Lifestyle
  • Royalty
  • Style
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Lifestyle
  • Royalty
  • Style
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
OMG Celeb > News > Why removing Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from line of succession could prove ‘torturous’
News

Why removing Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from line of succession could prove ‘torturous’

News Room
Last updated: February 20, 2026 3:14 pm
News Room Published February 20, 2026
Share
SHARE

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his remaining royal titles and roles in October, with the former Duke of York also evicted from his Royal Lodge home.

However, despite losing his titles, and his shock arrest on Thursday, the 66-year-old remains eighth-in-line place to the throne, behind King Charles’ sons and their respective children. Although YouGov polling has revealed that over 80 per cent of the British public back removing Andrew from the line of succession, it’s not so easy.

Writing previously for The HELLO! Royal Club, before Andrew was taken into police custody, royal author Robert Jobson spoke of how the process requires more than just a simple act of Parliament. It would need identical pieces of legislation to be passed in the 15 Commonwealth realms where King Charles is still the head of state. 

Any move would also be unprecedented, with Robert saying: “There is also no precedent for a royal enforced removal. Edward VIII’s 1936 abdication was after all voluntary and he signed the instrument himself.

“Nobody has ever been forcibly expelled from the British succession. Even Catholic King James II, who fled the country, was declared an abdication by Parliament, even though he never accepted it.”

© Getty Images
Removing Andrew from the line of succession is far from simple

Speaking on GB News on Friday, Andrew Bowie, the Shadow Scottish Secretary said: “Of course, if he’s [Andrew] found guilty of this, I think Parliament would be well within its rights to act to remove him from the line of succession.

“But let’s remember, he’s not been found guilty of anything just yet – he has yet to be charged with anything. So we have to let the police investigation run its course, and I think we should all act accordingly subsequent to that.”

Prince of Wales attends a Service of Thanksgiving for the life of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at Westminster Abbey on March 29, 2© Getty Images
Could a law be passed over the King’s younger brother?

It’s not just the line of succession that Andrew remains in, but he also remains a Counsellor of State, someone who can act on behalf of the monarch when they are absent from the country or indisposed due to illness, for example.

Robert also wrote about the difficulties of removing Andrew from this role as well, but you will need to sign up to The HELLO! Royal Club to read his thoughts in full.

Recent events

On Thursday, Andrew was arrested at his new Wood Farm home on suspicion of misconduct in a public office. Plain-clothed police officers were seen arriving at the property in the early hours of the morning. Andrew was held in custody for 11 hours, before being released, although he remains under investigation.

Prince Andrew© Getty Images
Andrew was arrested on Thursday, but later released from custody

In a statement, Thames Valley Police said: “The arrested man has now been released under investigation. We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded. The force said its searches in Berkshire are still under way, and that it would make no further statement at this time.”

An earlier statement from the force read: “As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in police custody at this time. We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.”

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Karol G Then & Now: See Photos of the Colombian-Born Reggaeton & Latin Trap Artist

Best Paris hotels: Where to go and where to stay

I’m a nutritionist and these and my 5 non negotiable sleep hacks during perimenopause

’00s pop star Willa Ford, 44, makes rare appearance in white bra top ahead of major comeback

Grey’s Anatomy’s ‘Joe’ opens up about heartbreaking aftermath of rare neuromuscular disease diagnosis

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
TwitterFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
Popular News
Celebrity

Bill Belichick’s Girlfriend Wears Shirt Tied to Robert Kraft Prostitution Bust

News Room News Room February 8, 2026
A look at legend Dick Clark’s private life with longtime wife Kari and 3 kids before his death at 82
Michelle Keegan is the ultimate yummy mummy in plunging halterneck crop top
Cameron Diaz handles motherhood and business amid Charlie’s Angels reboot rumors
Sydney Sweeney Climbs Hollywood Sign with Bras in Legally Dicey Move
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

OMG Celeb

  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact
2024 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?