By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
OMG CelebOMG CelebOMG Celeb
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Lifestyle
  • Royalty
  • Style
  • More Articles
Reading: Mette-Marit Steps Out of Recovery for King Harald’s Bedside
Share
Font ResizerAa
OMG CelebOMG Celeb
  • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Lifestyle
  • Royalty
  • Style
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Lifestyle
  • Royalty
  • Style
  • More Articles
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
OMG Celeb > Royalty > Mette-Marit Steps Out of Recovery for King Harald’s Bedside
Royalty

Mette-Marit Steps Out of Recovery for King Harald’s Bedside

News Room
Last updated: August 18, 2026 5:49 pm
News Room Published August 18, 2026
Share
SHARE

Crown Princess Mette-Marit has spent the majority of the summer out of public view, healing from a transplant that came after years of declining lung function and a pulmonary fibrosis diagnosis. So when she appeared at Oslo’s National Hospital this week, it registered as more than a routine family visit — it was one of her most significant public moments since the surgery, and a clear sign of how unwilling she was to let her own recovery keep her away from King Harald. 

Her father-in-law’s condition is what drew her there. Mette-Marit is still rebuilding her strength after her transplant and has remained out of the public eye throughout the past couple of months, healing in peace. That she chose to interrupt her recovery for a hospital visit suggests the strong bond she shares with her family. 

© Getty Images
King Harald and Crown Princess Mette- Marit of Norway at the Nobel Peace Prize banquet in 2023

Why the king is in the hospital

Harald V, 89, was admitted to Oslo’s National Hospital on Monday, August 17, after a medical evaluation found that he needed hospital-level care. The Royal Palace said the king had been undergoing cortisone treatment for hemolytic anemia, a blood condition, and that the treatment had caused a fluid buildup in his body serious enough to require supervision.

The palace didn’t reveal how long the King would remain hospitalized, but he’s been placed on leave for two weeks. Crown Prince Haakon has stepped in as regent while his father remains hospitalized.

Mette-Marit was photographed with Prince Haakon as the two visited King Harald in the hospital© NTB/AFP via Getty Images
Mette-Marit was photographed with Prince Haakon as the two visited King Harald in the hospital

This is a position that Haakon has taken on in the past, filling in for his father while he’s ill or away. The Royal House said it would provide more information as Harald’s situation develops and whether or not the King’s initial two-week absence will affect the monarchy’s program.  

The King’s health has been a concern for the Norwegian public for some time now. Earlier this month, a regular visit to Rikshospitalet prompted concern among Norwegian citizens, with the media mistakenly reporting that the King was transported to the hospital by ambulance. The Royal House reported that the King was well and simply attending one of his scheduled health checkups. 

Over the years, Harald has made it clear that he will not abdicate. Following Queen Margrethe of Denmark’s decision to step down in 2024, Harald reiterated his plans to serve until his death. “I stick by what I’ve always said, that I swore an oath to the Storting, and it is for life,” he said. 

Crown Prince Haakon will serve as regent during his father's two-week medical leave.© Rune Hellestad – Corbis
Haakon is stepping up, serving as regent while his father heals

A daughter-in-law who didn’t stay away

That Mette-Marit chose to visit her father-in-law in person is a statement in itself. 

Her decision underscores just how central she remains to the family’s inner circle and the future of the monarchy— even while managing a recovery of her own that is far from over.

Norway's Princess Ingrid Alexandra poses for a family photo with Norway's King Harald V and Norway's Queen Sonja and Marit Tjessem, Norway's Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Norway's Crown Prince Haakon, Norway's Prince Sverre Magnus and Marius Borg Hoiby on the occasion of a gala dinner for her 18th birthday in Oslo.© LISE ASERUD
Mette Marit remains a key figure in the future of the royal family

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

The surprising reason Prince Andrew could still receive a royal funeral despite losing his titles

Queen Camilla was the only one who knew of King Charles and Prince Harry’s awaited reunion

Why some royal weddings can’t happen without the King’s approval

Queen Mary is all smiles in a chic polka-dot dress as Princess Amalia shines in white and emerald green

Sverre Magnus targeted by identity thief as Norway’s palace issues warning

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
TwitterFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
Popular News
News

Oscar-winning musician Glen Hansard dead at 56 after horror motorcycle crash

News Room News Room July 29, 2026
Princess Eléonore breaks from royal family tradition with a different university path
Hollywood actors who famously refused to film kissing scenes with their co-stars
Kate Middleton shares the one Wimbledon photo that says everything about her bond with Princess Charlotte
Harry Potter star forced to join OnlyFans 15 years after series ended
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

OMG Celeb

  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact
2024 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?